Sunday, November 7, 2010

I wish

Tatay Modesto

By Pepin
51 years old
Sells native products (rattan baskets, mats, etc.) 

The blazing heat of the sun is no match for the willpower of Tatay Modesto, who toddles on the streets of Iloilo City for almost ten hours a day to sell his native products. Although already worn-out, he does not lose focus on his tasks and he is always hoping to generate sufficient income for the family at the end of the day. This is indeed a bold act for someone who barely reads and write, and whose body structure starts to become feeble at the age of 51.

My present life is taxing. I have to work hard for my family that I left back home in Pandanan, Antique. I am only earning a maximum of two hundred pesos per day, and I am already happy if I have that amount on hand before the sun sets.

I prepare for Christmas in a different way. Unlike most people, we don’t usually cook food or exchange gifts at home. I just equip myself with strength and maintain a good health, because I don’t want to give burden to my family during the holiday season if I get sick.

If I will make one extraordinary wish, I want to be a movie star. I want to be in a major role and earn a big sum of money. But I want to have electricity and a television set at home first so that I can view myself and my acting.

For the year 2011, I will be more health conscious, because I want to spend more Christmas times with my family.

2 comments: