Monday, October 25, 2010

Feature:

"What It’s Worth"
Being an OFW is no shaggy dog story

By Pepin

Credits to VSPRODUCTION of the United States
for the Youtube video upload

“Nandyan kayo… kahit nandito na ako o saan mang lupalop ng mundo, dito dala-dala ko ang obligasyon ko sa inyo na bigyan kayo ng magandang buhay, dahil magulang niyo ako!” These are the striking lines of Josie played by Vilma Santos, one of the country’s renowned actress, in the 1999 hit movie, Anak. It was eleven years ago, but the same words would always bring tears to my eyes every time I think of my loved ones working abroad (Dramahan? ‘Yon!). I have to be honest; this movie would always trigger my soft spot.

However, I would consider being melodramatic for the fact that the story is on the brink of what is really existing. Being an Overseas Filipino Worker (OFW) is no shaggy dog story (Hindi talaga!). You really need to surrender everything that is with you and in you. Every single choice that you make matters, especially if you have a family at risk of starving. You cannot afford to make any inaccuracies on your decisions nor do something that is wide of the mark.

But despite the sacrifices, it would often be a lost for someone who is working abroad. Yes, the income generated would suffice for the needs and wants of the family left behind. But the thousands of bucks earned cannot always replace the thousands of tears shed because of the longing, despair, apprehension, and solitude. These will always be heavy burdens among overseas Filipino workers (I believe that 99.9% of OFW’s are getting homesick most of the time!).


Moreover, the rewards are not always what you expect them to be. I have spoken to three of my friends a year ago. Aside from having parents working abroad, another common denominator among them was they are all out-of-school. One is working in a fast-food chain, and the other two are both couch potatoes for almost eighteen hours everyday (watching the same shows over and over again! That’s mind-numbing!). Not to mention, they are spending lazy moments over beers and turning themselves into smoke weeds. I did not bother giving them with a label of “ignominy”, but I sympathize on their situation and most especially on their parents, who are working in the rough desserts of the Middle East.

My father has been working overseas for almost twenty five years now. He is literally working “over the seas,” (He’s a seaman) and I know that he has a tough job. It is a little bit tougher because I know how much he yearns to stay longer at home every time he is granted with his vacation. My father is not vocal of how he feels, but his tight grip to my mother’s hand would explain everything. At 58, I know he always long to stay home with his family.

He already bought a car, a house, and supplied everything that his family wanted and needed throughout the years. And I am truly grateful for all of his efforts, determination, and love; that is why I did not lose any chance to prove to him that his money, his sweat, and his dreams will not go to waste. I and my sisters are proud that we have attained our own respective degree much because of his hard work. We believe that finishing school is one of the best ways we can sustain him with exuberance and self-esteem while he is roasting himself in the machineries, spending a lonely night during his birthdays and Christmas seasons, and overcoming the threats of colossal waves.

My own story was the only response I gave to my three friends, and I will tell the same thing to those who casted off their parents’ effort (Alam po natin na hindi biro ang pinagdadaan ng mga magulang natin sa ibayong dagat). Being miles away is not a hindrance to be miles apart from having a responsible self. Our moms and dads might be in other places, but technologies are adjacent to us and we can use these to keep in touch with them. For instance, we can use the laptops they bought us last Christmas to chat with them during our free time. We can also utilize the digital camera they sent us as their birthday present to take pictures of the blissful moments at home. Or, we can still make use of letter writing to communicate to them our joys, as well as our despairs. Sinubukan po namin ang lahat ng ito to keep in touch with our father, and I assure anyone reading this that they all worked in opening the line of communication between our home and anywhere our father will be.

And most of all, we should not forget to clasp our hands and pray for the safety of our loved ones abroad and the whole family. Prayer will always be an essential element in every family, and it will keep the bond stronger, even if your parents and love ones are far away from home.

I am truly grateful for PEBA (Pinoy Expats Blog Awards) for this opportunity. I scribbled my thoughts and my own personal encounter, because I believe that through my writing skills, I can fulfill the call of this organization to strengthen the OFW families. I only wish that everyone like me, who is left in the country, will be building a stronger and a happier home (just what me, my mother, and my sisters did and continue doing), especially that our loved ones abroad dream of it the most.

26 comments:

  1. i feel sory for these unsung hereos... most of the time, exploited sila sa ibang countries... :( sad but true...

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice article :) truly inspiring. swerte ko na d OFW parents ko.

    ReplyDelete
  3. and btw, very memorable tlga ang pagganap ni ate v sa movie na yan. ANAK is indeed timeless. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i like your blog and the layout, its very clean. Basta may paninindigan ang bawat isa sa pamilya upang mabuo ito, walang impossible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i would definitely agree on what you wrote.
    sometimes we need to experience pain and suffering before we can really appreciate life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. nami gd man blog mo

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks to all who supported my blog,,,

    ReplyDelete
  8. ganda ng article mo about ofw. i voted for this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. DEXTER of passi cityNovember 1, 2010 at 10:06 PM

    mabudlay gd man mag work abroad.

    BTW, you hav a nice blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have so much to learn from our fellow Filipinos who are working abroad and one of them is that we should always value our family above all.

    I am touched with your article and it was beautifully written.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is one of the MOST creative blog i've ever visited. nice music and cool post. and u hav a good article for the contest. very heartwarming. good luck pepin.

    ReplyDelete
  12. VERY CREATIVE NAMN NG PGSULAT MO AT ANG GANDA NG BLOGSITE. I ALREADY VOTED FOR UR ENTRY, GUD LUCK!

    ReplyDelete
  13. thank you very much for appreciating my post. i am truly overwhelmed!

    ReplyDelete
  14. hope u'll win. u deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have a very touching article :)hope you will win in this contest.

    ReplyDelete
  16. u made a very touching message to all filipinos.

    ReplyDelete
  17. U DESERVE TO WIN. U WORTE A HEART-WARMING ARTICLE. CONGRATS.

    ReplyDelete
  18. i used to comment here before but could not find it now. great blog. maayo man nga may taga-panay nag join sa PEBA...all power to you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank u! YAP, im so proud to represent panay and the visayas region as a whole, but medyo sad coz i know there are more talented bloggers from the visayas who could have joined in this contest (btw, i am a witness of the great number of bloggers from cebu, negros, tacloban, and panay. many attended the Visayas Blogging Summit here in Iloilo yesterday). PEBA is a prestigious award-giving body that bloggers shouldn't miss.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations PANAY MUD PIE for being the OUTSTANDING BLOGS BY REGION - OFW SUPPORTERS CATEGORY in VISAYAS. I salute your dedication to produce heartfelt articles concerning our fellow Filipinos. Indeed noble and inspiring.

    Congrats Ca! hehehehe. Keep it up! :) kaw pa!

    ReplyDelete
  21. CONGRATULATIONS! for winning the 2010 PEBA.

    I really don’t know how I got there but I’d like to say a big thank you to all of you that voted – it wasn’t so much about the title or the trophy, but the amazing community here that took the time to vote for me.

    ReplyDelete
  22. @ aileen: Thanks ai... salamat gd sa support. i'm proud to achive such a big thing even if my blog is still "amature" compared to the rest... by the way, damu damu na nami-an sang blog nyo nga the foodies choice... big fan nyo gd ako!

    @ ghillcorner
    thank u so much! im proud to be one of the active pinoy bloggers like u... we all deserve to be called "hereos" as well for our dedication to spread good will and love through our craft.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Looking for new online cockfight betting? Here's a site that will sure give you the best online cockfight betting. It is where big bettors are rolling in! Join the Sabongking.com match betting, with a minimum deposit of Php2000. Feel the excitement as it happens inside the cockpit arena: Big derbies, big bettor and clearest video. Feel the adrenalin rush as you watch and place your bets. Be part of the action and not a mere spectator! Be the SABONGKING ! A true gamecockers don't just watch they BET. So start loading your Sabongking virtual points now. Visit the site and SIGN UP! www.sabongking.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Nice blog, good story.

    ReplyDelete