Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Inspiring Anecdotes:

Touch and Sight

by Pepin
Ilonggo women are well known for their “consoling touch” that makes them lovable. But in the downtown streets of Iloilo, there is a woman who touched my life a lot. The way that she let me feel her is not thru the caress of her bushed hands, but by her inspiring story on how she survived life despite her disability and the demands of people around her.

She hasn’t seen how the world looks like since birth. Her sight is indeed her greatest downfall, but this did not stop her in believing for something greater and more rewarding. Her faith lies in God, whose image may be unclear to her at the moment, and to every penny dropped in her small tin can. The dusty and busy streets in front of her are still unfathomable pictures of how taxing these are to people with complete sight.

Whether I believed in her or not in the first place, for her, she is proud to share how she successfully sent her daughter to college. This was her most treasured story that made me consider believing in her words. No, this was not because she convinced me, but because she talked with her heart and I believe that the concept of pretence was not carved on this old woman’s discernment.

She touched me deeper that my heart and soul were besieged. This woman defined to me the real essence of a consoling touch that every ilongga is known for. And I believe that it is not with the use of the hands, but of the heart.

1 comment:

  1. SHE IS BRAVE. SHE HAS LESS IN LIFE, BUT SHE KNOWS HOW TO WORK WITH WHAT SHE HAS.

    ReplyDelete