Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Events:

“Green Thumbs” at Jaro Fair


by Pepin

One of the things that I always love to imagine is to see a green world – a paradise where flowers and fruits are within reach. Well, I felt how my trance can turn out when I went inside the Jaro agro-industrial fair last January 20, 2010 and saw unique species of fruit-bearing trees and wild flowers.

There, I also met several “green experts” and I had the chance to ask them of their products, how they maintain them, and of course how much they cost. They politely shared to me some essential information and tips on how to become a green expert myself.

Some of the plants that I really appreciate in the fair were Million Flowers sold at 250 pesos (but a young vendor presented to me three pots of it that haven’t bloomed yet and he sold them all for 100 pesos only. What a bargain!), the Roselet (tiny roses) for 100 pesos each, and rare species of orchids with prices ranging from 140 to 180 pesos each. There are also fruit trees with very cheap tags.

Aside from plants, the fair also showcase some wood crafts and potteries that local and foreign tourists will love. In the other side of the fair, some vendors are selling rubber slippers and ukay-ukay (used clothing).

This trade event is a prelude to the main celebration of Jaro Iloilo, which is the feast of Nuestra Señora de Candelaria (Our Lady of Candles), every February 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment