Sunday, April 17, 2011

Feature:

The Best of Breed

By Pepin 

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.” 

Dogs are considered as the least despicable animals in this planet, because they are sociable, trainable, and somewhat the most effective drugs to cure lonesomeness and gloominess. These are the reasons why a lot of people cannot live without their dogs, and I couldn’t agree less. 

Last April 15, I had a chance to witness the All-Breeds Championship Dog Show by the Iloilo Kennel Club Incorporated at Amigo Plaza Mall. And like any other dog lover, I reacted babyishly when I saw different breeds of dogs wagging their tails. Actually, I was overwhelmed when I heard a golden retriever barking gladly, and when I saw Beagles staring timidly at people stealing a look in their cage. 

Well, I never missed an opportunity to take pictures of our so-called “best buds.” I even glided my hands over their coat and played with their paws. I just couldn’t resist spending time with them, and I could have brought them all home if I was given a chance.

It was almost four in the afternoon when the show started. I felt frustrated because I only witnessed the championship match for the sporting dog category. I could have stayed a little longer if not for my busy schedule ahead. But still, I enjoyed my short time with the show.

I noticed that the dog owners, who look ravishing in their semi-formal outfits, were really well-prepared for this event. It is not easy to train a dog to behave and to obey to commands properly, but these masters did an awesome coaching job. I just can’t imagine the amount of patience and the number of hours that they had invested for their canine fiends, but I think that their determination was rewarded after their dogs pulled off a good show. 

Honestly, I didn’t care of who won the best of breed in the competition. I was just happy and relieved seeing more individuals taking action to protect and to advocate the welfare of dogs. But, it is sad to note that a lot of dogs are still on the streets, homeless and starving. Others are even beaten and murdered. They could also have been named as champions, if people gave them a chance to live a life away from the fusty dumps. 

I believe that it is also about time that we encourage more people to take good care of dogs, especially the abandoned ones. If we can impart the proper knowledge on how to take care of these pets to a wider audience, we can turn more dogs into “Men’s Best Friends” and raise more champions. We should also erase those stereotypes that these creatures are rabid beasts or exotic delicacies. 

Remember, we can find that sense of completeness through the unconditional love that our dogs give us, hence we should also love them without any reservations.

2 comments:

  1. was there a PUG??!!!!hahah..i hope you brought some doggies home..imiss my puppy!!i know she's alright now..

    ReplyDelete
  2. cnu gabaligya pups man? contact me if may ma refer kmu: 091828938443

    ReplyDelete