Friday, January 21, 2011

Feature:

Spotlight: Bugas sa Lusong Festival

By Pepin

I had a chance to check out what the municipality of Bugasong, Antique had in store for me during their annual fiesta. And to my surprise, there were a lot more than what I expected.

The town’s name is a construction of “Bugas sa lusong,” which describes the traditional method of separating the rice grain from its hull. “Lusong” is a common farm equipment chiselled out of a sturdy piece of wood. It looks like a huge version of mortar and pestle and used in a similar way, only that you need to exert more effort and control.

The Bugas sa Lusong Festival that the town celebrated last January 18 drove hundreds of spectators from all across the province. Even tourists and balik-bayans from different parts of the globe had a chance to witness the town’s finest celebration. I came cynical about it at first, but I’m glad that my expectations were relieved after I saw and felt what this festivity was all about.

The week-long celebration was jam-packed with several activities, including cultural presentations and a fashion show. But the highlight of the event was the Ati-ati Kayumbog Competition, which I thought was similar to that of the Ati-atihan Festival of Kalibo, Aklan or the Dinagyang of Iloilo. This one was entirely a different event, and instead of the warriors dancing for Sr. Sto. Nino (The Holy Child Jesus), it was the ati’s way of life that was showcased to the viewing public.

There were only three competing tribes for this year’s edition, and each one showcased a unique presentation. The people in the audience enjoyed a great time and at the end they came to realize how precious the Ati culture was. For instance, this festival made me value the ati’s indigenous ways, such as the Pangayam (hunting), Pamulong (faith healing), and how they turned towards Sr. Sto Nino for their faith. I also had fun running away from ati’s doing the Pamuling (marking one’s face with charcoal).

I left the town mesmerized by its talented people and friendly atmosphere. There’s no reason why I shouldn’t go back there in the future. There’s more that I need to discover and rediscover and that includes their Patadyong products, native dishes, and spectacular sites.












5 comments:

  1. hope the country will also do something for them. like pay for the education of their children and provide them with more health benefits and shelter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. amu ni ya ang tuod nga ati. dahon-dahon lng ang costume.

    ReplyDelete
  3. JUST LOOK AT THE CROWD! HAHAHAHA! I KNOW SOME OF THEM WOULD LIKE TO JOIN THE DANCING.

    ReplyDelete
  4. magaling, magaling, magaling...

    ReplyDelete
  5. KATAHUM NGA PAGKAITUM! SOSYALAN ANG MGA ATI SA PANAY YA!

    ReplyDelete